Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pilot Travle Centers Buys Flying J

First off Here is a Link to the Full Story if you would like to read it for yourself. http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/07/14/ap6654912.html

I will say that this story did take me by complete surprise. I knew Flying J was having a bit of financial hardship after filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection back around Christmas. I for one feel that one of Flying J's down falls was no longer accepting Comdata. Comdata is used by 87% of companies in today's interstate commerce transportation system. I’m quite sure if a company like Wal-Mart no long accepted Debit cards, they too would soon be on the same track as Flying J. Flying J had a great chain of truck stops but I for one was never a big fan of their truck stops. I only stopped at Flying J when there was nothing else available. I have always driven for a company that used Comdata so I really never had a need to stop. After eating at the food venues inside a Flying J a time or two I realized I didn’t care for their food. The Country Market wasn’t nearly as bad as the Pizza Place and Chinese Place most Flying J's offer. But as far as driver services the Flying J ranked top on my list as driver friendly. But as far as my feelings go I would rather stop at a Pilot rather than a Flying J. My only problem with Pilot is they offer mostly fast food, but over the last years I’ve seen more Denny's inside Pilots. And my second and last issue is their parking lot size. And buying the Flying J I feel this would make a perfect Pilot as Flying J's normally have more room and all Flying J's I’ve seen have had a Big restaurant inside. So go Pilot, Don’t Stop buy TA too.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your laid-back writing style. I'm getting pretty sick of all these trucking blogs that just relate news stories.

    For the most part, I agree with you. But as for the extra parking spaces, I'm not so optimistic. A few months back, Pilot announced that they would be installing IdleAire in ALL of their current and future locations. So you can kiss all those extra parking spaces goodbye.

    ReplyDelete